This is an FAQ section with answers to questions we often receive.

What kind of school is Tokyo Hirogari Japanese Language School?

Our school is run by Kangaroos Co., Ltd. which is part of the Seiwa Gyogaku Group, which has been operating in the infant childcare and education businesses for about 70 years in Machida City, Tokyo.

Where is the school located?

Our school is located in Machida City, about 30 kilometers southwest of the heart of Tokyo. Machida is the third most populous commercial city in Tokyo and is a busy town with many universities and young people.

Machida is 40 minutes by train to Shinjuku and Shibuya, and 30 minutes to Yokohama, making it a city with convenient transportation access. Our school is conveniently located in the center of Machida, where there are various train stations and commercial facilities.

Can I get a student visa?

No, you cannot. Our school is not one where you can acquire a student visa.

Our school offers classes for those who have come from overseas and already live in Japan, or who are planning to come to Japan on a working holiday.

Are the lessons in-person or online?

We offer two types of lessons, in-person and online. In addition, in-person lessons which have been suspended due to the COVID-19, will resume in stages from January 2022.

What kinds of courses do you offer?

We offer a variety of courses. For details, please see “Course Information & Tuition Fees” on the website.

How much are the tuition fees?

Tuition fees varies depending on the course. For details, please see “Course Information & Tuition Fees” on the website.

How should I pay the tuition fees?

When you apply, we will send you an e-mail detailing payment methods. Please check the contents of the e-mail and pay by credit card, bank transfer, or other prescribed method.

When are the application deadlines and tuition fee payment deadlines for each course?

For all courses, please submit your application at least 5 business days before the course start date. Please contact us if you cannot meet this deadline due to last-minute circumstances.

I have no experience with online lessons; can I still attend the lessons?

No need to worry. If you contact us in advance, we will carefully explain how to download the applications and to how to use them.

What is a level check?

At our school, a Japanese language instructor will perform a level check before you can apply for a course.

The level check is meant to help you choose a course that suits your level and for you to have fun learning Japanese. Please be assured that it does not determine your enrollment in our school.

Before applying, you will be asked to set a date and time to have a simple Japanese conversation on Zoom for about 30 minutes. You can also get advice and consultation from the instructor.

Is there a system for reduction or exemption of tuition fees?

We are sorry, but there are no systems for reduction or exemption of tuition fees.

Can you use a foreign language to explain things in class?

Lessons at our school are attended by learners from various countries gathered in one class. Therefore, the instructor will proceed with the method of teaching using only Japanese. Since instructors use many pictures and cards to teach, the content of the lessons is easy to understand even for those who are learning Japanese for the first time.

Is it possible to extend the length of a course after it starts?

Yes, it is possible. It depends on the course, so please contact us if you wish to extend your course length.

Do you have homework and tests?

Yes, we do. You will have homework every day so that you can learn Japanese in a short period of time and make sure that you remember what you learned in your lessons that day.

Can you issue a certificate of completion?

Yes, we can. It will be issued only to those who have made a request after their course has been completed.

Can I come to Japan with a tourist visa or short-term visa to learn Japanese?

Yes, it is possible. We also offer short-term courses ranging from 1 week to 2 or 3 months, so please feel free to contact us to discuss what options are available.

About online lessons

What do I need to take online lessons?

Please prepare the following five items.

1. A device that can connect to the Internet (PC, tablet, smartphone, etc.)

*We recommend a PC because you may need to enter text during class.

2. Web camera and microphone

*It may be attached to a PC or smartphone.

3. Stable internet connection such as Wi-Fi or mobile data communication

4. Google account

5. Zoom (free video conferencing app)

What apps should I use?

“Google Classroom” is used to contact the instructor, receive assignments, ask questions, submit assignments to the instructor, and communicate with classmates and instructors.

“Zoom” is used for online lessons. “Flipgrid” is used to submit video assignments.

In addition, we use Google Spreadsheets and Documents for collaborative learning in class.

Where can I download the apps that I need to use?

Please download Zoom from the Zoom website( ). Please update the Zoom app so that you always have the latest version.

Rules regarding absences (excluding private lessons)

If you are absent from a lesson due to personal reasons, please make sure to inform us in advance via our Facebook Messenger account or by e-mail.
*If you are absent, we will not hold a substitute lesson, so please check the recorded video of the lesson from that day.

For those who come to Japan on a Working Holiday

For those who come to Japan on a Working Holiday

At our school, we offer the “In-Person Working Holiday Useful Japanese Course (3 months)” for those who come to Japan on a working holiday. If you plan to come to Japan on a working holiday, please see our website.

In addition, if you wish to learn Japanese before coming to Japan, there is also an “Online Working Holiday Preparation Japanese Course (10 sessions)”. This is a course that provides information on Japanese language and working holidays so that you can live a trouble-free lifestyle in Japan.

Both courses are for those who come to Japan with a working holiday visa and are not intended for those who wish to enroll in a regular Japanese language class.

Can I get a Working Holiday Visa at your school?

Visas cannot be obtained at our school. Please obtain a visa by your own means in your home country.

What level of Japanese ability do I need?

As a general rule, you need to have JLPT N4 level or higher. Your level can be approved in advance by the instructor during the level check.

How do you support students’ lives in Japan?

If you enroll immediately after arriving in Japan, you will need to complete the necessary procedures such as residence card and national health insurance registration at municipal office, making a personal seal, opening a bank account, mobile phone contract procedures, etc. during the first week of the course. We will support you in completing these procedures. In addition, we will teach you the manners and rules of living in Japan in your lessons.

Can I get a part-time job?

Yes, you can. Lessons for in-person courses end before noon, so it is possible to work part-time. In addition, there are no time restrictions such as the those with student visas (up to 28 hours per week), so you can have the freedom to work part-time.

At our school, we also provide introductions and guidance for part-time jobs. It is possible to introduce you to a part-time employer even before you come to Japan, as there are part-time jobs where you can have an interview on Zoom, etc., so you can start your part-time job immediately after coming to Japan.

Do you have a dormitory?

Yes, we do. Our school has a student dormitory. If you would like to move into the dormitory, please let us know when you apply. The dormitory fee is about 25,000 yen per month. In addition to dormitories, we can also recommend apartments or other accommodations.

Is there a system for exemption of fees for in-person working holiday courses?

No, there is no system for exemption of fees. However, for those who have taken the “Online Working Holiday Preparation Japanese Course” and then apply for the “In-Person Working Holiday Useful Japanese Course”, the enrollment fee (15,000 yen) will be waived.

Can I go on to school or get a full-time job?

There are conditions, but it is possible.

In the case of a school or university, there are admission conditions set by each school, so it is necessary to meet those conditions.

If you want to get a full-time job, you must have graduated from a four-year university to get a work visa. If you have not graduated from a four-year university, you can obtain a visa to work in Japan by graduating from a university or vocational school in Japan. We provide information and guidance to those who wish to go on to higher education or find employment in Japan in the future.

Is it possible to study Japanese further after finishing the 3-month in-person Working Holiday Useful Japanese Course?

Yes, it is possible. For those who are thinking of improving their Japanese level in consideration of getting a full-time job or going to school, we will recommend courses that suit their level. No enrollment fee is required at that time. If you are staying in our student dormitory, you can continue to live there.

Can I experience Japanese culture during my time at your school?

Yes, you can. Depending on the time of year, we have many opportunities to communicate with Japanese people, such as festivals and events. There are also many options for experiencing Japanese culture after lessons.

The “In-Person Working Holiday Useful Japanese Course” includes monthly day trips. On those trips, we are planning to visit places that are popular with foreign visitors, such Hakone, Kamakura, and Asakusa.

For those who wish to travel in Japan after completing your course, qualified staff will advise you on travel information and enjoyable itineraries.

To parents and guardians

We understand that parents have a lot of worries and anxieties about sending their children to Japan for a working holiday.

Please be assured that our school will provide support to all enrolled students during their stay, even after their course ends, until they leave Japan.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have.